Start with the Basics
This USDA campaign aims to simplify the vast array of nutrition information that surrounds us each day by helping people start with the basics. It provides ideas and tips from the five MyPlate food groups that Americans can easily incorporate into their busy lives to help and improve their health and well-being over time. Starting simple can lead to realistic and positive lifestyle changes to achieve a longer and healthier life.
Among the resources is a Start Simple with MyPlate Toolkit for Professionals that includes:
- Promotion Ideas
- Tip Library
- Sample Social Media Messages
Also available are resources WIC staff can use to show participants how the foods in their WIC food packages fit into MyPlate and help them reach their nutrition goals:
- An interactive MyPlate Plan (also available as a widget to share on blogs and websites - both of which are available in Spanish) that shows personalized food group targets based on age, gender, height, weight.
- An Action Guide to help adults, parents & caregivers, kids & teens, and teachers & health educators put their plans into action and reach their goals.
- A MyPlate Plan Menu template
- A Start Simple with MyPlate Tip Sheet