Serve this with brown rice for a hearty, heart healthy meal with a kick full of fiber and protein.
Blotting each of the tofu slabs between paper towels to remove some moisture. This helps the tofu absorb the sauce's flavor! This is also a great step for little helpers. Make sure all helpers wash their hands before helping in the kitchen.
Yield amount4 Servings
- Cut the tofu block across its width into 6 rectangular slices. Cut each rectangle in half to make 12 square slabs. Cut the square slabs diagonally into triangles. Blot with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, make the spicy BBQ sauce: Mix together the juice, chipotle pepper, garlic, tomato paste, and sugar. Add the tofu and coat each piece with the sauce.
- In a large non-stick pan, simmer the tofu and sauce until the sauce thickens and becomes sticky, 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the bean salad: In a medium bowl, combine the avocado, beans, onion, and lime juice. Season with up to ¼ tsp. of salt.
- Divide the romaine onto 4 plates. Spoon the bean salad over the romaine. Serve with the tofu and brown rice.
Equipment you'll need:
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Mixing and stirring spoons
- Large pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Can opener