Chickpea and Kale Salad
This hearty salad will hold up to being dressed and saved for later. Who doesn’t love a good make ahead meal (especially when the flavors more fully develop)? Add protein like salmon, tofu, or chicken and make this a full meal.
This salad offers protein and fiber to satisfy you and keep you going, and other important nutrients like magnesium, potassium, choline, and vitamin C.
Have little helpers? No problem with this no-cook recipe!
- Wash hands and then rinse the kale before getting started. Pat the kale dry, or use a salad spinner to remove any water.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil, cider vinegar, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add the kale, chickpeas, and grapefruit. Toss and enjoy immediately, or cover and save in the fridge for later.
If you want to enjoy your salad right away, place the kale in the bowl with the dressing first and use clean hands to massage the dressing and seasonings into the kale. It will turn bright green and be more tender to eat. Don’t want to use your hands? No problem, you can use tongs or two forks to toss and coat the kale.
- Packaged grapefruit sections drained from the juice can.
- Oranges or peaches for the grapefruit if you don’t have it.
Equipment you’ll need
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Can opener
- Whisk or fork
- Large mixing bowl
- Tongs or two forks for tossing (if you don’t want to use your hands)