Getting the Most Out of Your CVB
With the increased cash value benefit (CVB) to purchase fruits and vegetables, you may be wondering how to get the most out of your CVB! Find some ideas here or ask your WIC staff for more fruit and veggie tips!
Choosing Fruits & Vegetables
You can always purchase fresh fruits and vegetables with your benefit but be sure to check your State’s WIC food list to see if you can also purchase frozen, canned, or dried.
- Choose in-season when possible. Some fruits and vegetables have better quality when in season and may be better priced.
- Selecting pre-washed or pre-cut veggies can be great time-savers and convenient, but they may cost more per pound.
- Try something new! You or your child may be surprised and enjoy a rutabaga, jicama, parsnip, or star fruit!
Meal & Snack Ideas
- Add pureed carrot or squash into pasta sauces.
- Dip apple or banana slices into peanut butter.
- Sprinkle oatmeal, yogurt, or salads with chopped apples or berries.
- Sauté in chopped peppers and onions to your favorite taco filling.
- Add spinach, sliced cucumbers, and tomato to sandwiches and wraps.
- Blend fruit (or even some vegetables!) into a smoothie.
- Top pizza with veggies like bell peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms.
Folate Fiesta Breakfast Quesadilla
Checkout this recipe that combines a variety of vegetables, eggs, and cheese in a tasty tortilla!