This guide is intended to help design clear and understandable health materials. It provides steps (and checklists) with detailed information and tips for developing health communication materials that are evidence-based, user-friendly and culturally appropriate under the following topic areas:
- developing a clear message
- choosing appropriate font style and size
- using visuals to help communicate your message
- choosing a layout and design that is appealing to your audience
- engaging members of the target audience in the development (messages, design, translation to other languages, etc.) of materials
- testing for readability
The initial steps identified in this guide are expanded on in Clear & Simple, one of the Clear Communication resources from NIH.