Fuel for the Future
National Nutrition Month® (NNM) is here! The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) has many NNM resources available to use all month long, like tip sheets and activity handouts, many of which are available in 6 other languages!
For those who are creating written/printable materials, webpage content, and social media messages, these images are free to use:
- WIC Image Gallery
- WIC Image Gallery: WIC Breastfeeding Support
- MyPlate Graphics (available in more than 20 languages!)
MyPlate is sharing resources and you can also find the MyPlate Plan widget (available in Spanish) to embed on webpages and blogs, and infographics.
WIC Breastfeeding Support Resources
Encourage breastfeeding moms and WIC partners to visit WIC Breastfeeding Support for information related to Nutrition While Breastfeeding and encourage participants to learn about Breastfeeding Benefits.
The social media library has breastfeeding messages featuring campaign images and hashtags ready for one-click posting on the various platforms.
Staff can use the WIC Breastfeeding Check-In tool to provide participants with Breastfeeding Reassurance Tips and help them reach their breastfeeding goals.
Resources for NNM Activities
- A Campaign Toolkit that provides tip sheets – available in five languages – games and activities, press releases, campaign graphics and infographics, and much more. Click "2023 Quarter 1 Social Media Toolkit" on the left-hand side.
Nutrition Education Resources
For those looking for ready-to-use materials, there are plenty of helpful, fun, and interactive materials and tools you can use and share with participants to help them make informed choices, personalize their plate, and fuel for the future.
Tip sheets for those who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or picky eaters.
Interactive Nutrition Facts Label.
DGA presentation slides, including those for specific life stages.
Food Sources of Select Nutrients for nutrients that are of public health concern (and important for the WIC population): calcium, potassium, vitamin D, iron, and dietary fiber.
Start Simple with MyPlate Today brochure (also available in Spanish) and other MyPlate resources:
- Pages for Life Stages, including pregnancy, breastfeeding, infancy, and toddlerhood, that highlight important information during each life stage
- Shop Smart Tips for Every Aisle with information about understanding price tags and finding the unit price
- Other print materials including recipes, food fact cards, posters, games, and coloring sheets that you can search by audience, topic, or resource type; many of these are available in Spanish
My Native Plate to download or order.
My Cherokee Plate that includes videos, recipes, Cherokee language food vocabulary worksheets, and a coloring sheet.
MyPlate offers interactive tools to help reinforce nutrition education messages and give participants a way to actively participate in achieving their nutrition goals. Find additional resources at Start Simple with MyPlate. Participants can:
- Test their Food Group IQ with fun quizzes
- Find their starting point with the MyPlate Quiz to see how their eating habits stack up against MyPlate recommendations and get tailored resources and a personal quiz results code to sync with the Start Simple with MyPlate app
- Set simple goals based on their personal needs with the Start Simple with MyPlate App;
- Get a personalized MyPlate Plan (Plan de MiPlato) that takes pregnancy and breastfeeding status into account!
- What Do I Do With...? - this series has tips and recipes using WIC-eligible foods to help those who may be less familiar with some of the foods in their WIC food packages. (Check back regularly for new highlighted foods in this series!)
- WIC Meals of the Month series – recipes that focus on specific nutrients important for the WIC population
- Spanish-language Recipes
- MyPlate Kitchen – search hundreds of recipes based on cost, cuisine, course, cooking equipment, food groups, and nutrition focus; build cookbooks; and find videos and recipe resources
- Delicious Heart Healthy Eating Recipes – downloadable cookbooks and recipe collections such as:
- Healthy Latino Recipes
- Home Cooking African American Style
- American Indian/Alaska Native Recipes
- Vietnamese Community Recipes
- Filipino Community Recipes
- My Cherokee Plate Recipes
You can also search "recipes" on WIC Works to find even more inspiration, and pass along these cooking tips that can help prevent food waste and stretch food dollars.
Looking for more specific topics?
Here on WIC Works, you can find many resources related to healthy eating, such as tips to help participants switch to lower fat milk, sample meals to help ensure adequate nutrition to protect against lead exposure, and advice about eating fish.
You can find these, and other resources, by using the Nutrition Education and Breastfeeding filters (on the left-hand panel, under Topic) on the Explore Resources page.
Use the search feature on SNAP-Ed for resources that can further help your participants cook and eat healthy.