This year, the focus for the Office of Minority Health's (OMH) National Minority Health Month (NMHM) is on the impacts that COVID-19 is having on racial and ethnic minority communities and underscoring the need for these vulnerable communities to get vaccinated. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), certain vulnerable populations have a higher likelihood of forgoing getting vaccinated.
As part of WIC's role as an adjunct to good health care during critical times of growth and development, WIC staff can share up-to-date information with WIC moms and their families.
Using the NMHM resources, WIC staff can encourage WIC families to:
- Learn about COVID-19 vaccine information,
- Practice COVID-19 safety measures, in and outside of the home including social distancing,
- Get vaccinated when the time comes, and
- Take precautions once fully vaccinated
Pregnancy and the COVID-19 Vaccine
Breastfeeding and the COVID-19 Vaccine
Related Materials from OMH
- A Health Disparities Report that includes information about the state-specific initiates developed to address health disparities along with State Minority Health Contact information
- A Healthy People 2020 Health Disparities Data Widget to access and better understand health disparities information
- A Knowledge Center where you can search the nation’s largest collection of resources related to the health status of racial and ethnic minority populations
- A Free maternal health care cultural competency e-learning program and continuing education programs designed to help you provide culturally and linguistically appropriate services
Other Minority Health Resources
CDC's Minority Health page offers:
- Health Disparities and Strategies Reports
- Resources and links focusing on LGBT health and wellness
- A Conversations in Equity blog devoted to increasing awareness of health inequities
- Access to a quarterly electronic newsletter entitled Health Equity Matters
- A listing of Minority Health Events, including free webinars
- Free health literacy training course (no cost account registration required)
- …and much more!