Connecting Farmers, Market Managers, Local WIC Agencies & Partners with Families for Vibrant Markets and Healthy Communities
This toolkit was created to help develop best practices to cultivate WIC customers and expand outreach strategies. It provides background on WIC and participating families and:
- identifies benefits to farmers, market managers, WIC participants, and local WIC agencies when farms and families connect
- reviews the venues that increase participants' access to fresh fruits and vegetables
- the fruit and vegetable cash-value voucher (CVV)
- the WIC Farmers' Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) seasonal
- reviews the benefits for accepting both types of WIC benefits (CVV and FMNP)
- provides the various ways to become a WIC-authorized farmer/market for both the CVV and FMNP (in CA)
- provides tips for success for farmers and market managers
- provides tips for success for local WIC agencies
- provides additional resources in the way of information and organizations
- provides materials for promotion and education
Looking for more on Farmers’ Markets?
Explore these resources that you can use to educate participants on the benefits of Farmers’ Markets, which include a Farmers’ Market Directory to help participants find the markets closest to where they live, work and shop.
Check out Maryland WIC's Farmers' Market Cookbook that provides recipes and ways to increase intake of fruits and vegetables with kids activities, food safety and storage tips and more!
Learn more about the WIC Famers’ Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) on the WIC FMNP webpage that provides information about the program, participating states, and information useful when creating FMNP State Plans, and the WIC FMNP Fact Sheet.