Personalize Your Plate
Welcome to 2021's National Nutrition Month (NNM)! With the recent release of the 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA) there are a number of fun, interactive tools you can share with your participants to help them personalize their plate and make every bite count.
Resources to inspire and help you plan your NNM activities:
- 40 Ideas to Get Involved in National Nutrition Month
- 16 Event Ideas for Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day
Resources to help with nutrition education:
- Weekly key messages
- A NNM campaign toolkit that provides tip sheets - many available in Spanish - games and activities, press releases, campaign graphics and infographics, planning materials, and much more.
- An interactive nutrition facts label
- A number of digital tools from MyPlate:
- Start Simple with MyPlate App - allows users to pick simple daily food goals, see real-time progress, and earn badges along the way.
- MyPlate Plan - provides a personalized plan, based on your age, sex, height, weight, and physical activity level, and shows what and how much to eat within your calorie allowance
- The “MyPlate, MyWins” video series - offers a collection of videos that brings MyPlate to life and shows how families are finding simple solutions to make healthy eating work for them.
- Healthy Eating on a Budget provides information on meal planning, getting the most for your dollar while grocery shopping, and preparing healthy meals
- MyPlate Quizzes, participants can test their knowledge of the food groups
Recipes to help participants put nutrition education into practice:
- MyPlate Kitchen - search hundreds of recipes based on cost, cuisine, course, cooking equipment, food groups and nutrition focus; build cookbooks; and find videos and recipe resources
- WIC Meals of the Month - recipes that focus on specific nutrients important for the WIC population:
Check back monthly as new recipes are added in conjunction with the Eye on Nutrition series.
Looking for something on a more specific topic? Here on WIC Works, you can find many resources related to healthy eating, such as tips to help your participants switch to lower fat milk, sample meals to help ensure adequate nutrition to protect against lead exposure, and advise about eating fish. Share COVID-19 resources related to food shopping and food safety.
You can find these, and other resources, by using the Nutrition Education and Breastfeeding filters (on the left-hand panel, under Topic) at WIC Works.
WIC Breastfeeding Support Resources
Click the buttons on the right for SNAP-Ed resources that can further assist your participants in their efforts to cook and eat healthy.