Water: Nature's Drink!
Smile! February is National Children's Dental Health Month (NCDHM) - a great opportunity to promote the benefits of good oral health, because developing good dental health habits, including scheduling regular dental visits, helps children get a good start on a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
The American Dental Association has chosen this year's campaign slogan to be "Water: Nature’s Drink!" Visit the 2021 NCDHM Campaign website to download posters and activity sheets for kids (like a coloring sheet, a maze and crossword puzzle), many of which are available in Spanish. Check out free publications from the National Institutes of Health including material on baby teeth, tooth decay, and finding low cost dental care.
Resources for Sharing
The Head Start Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center shares free, downloadable resources that provide tips and tools (including a children's book and webinar) to help families ensure that good oral health begins in infancy, including:
- Cook's Corner: Recipes for Healthy Snacks
- A Healthy Mouth for Baby, also available in a version for American Indians and Alaska Natives
- A Healthy Smile for Your Young Child: Tips to Keep Your Child Healthy
- Potter the Otter: A Tale About Water
- Healthy Smiles: Oral Health Webinar for Spanish-Speaking Parents
Learning and Training Resources
The WIC Works Resource System features a number of resources for WIC staff to learn about and educate WIC participants on oral health, such as:
- Brushing Up on Oral Health: Never Too Early to Start, guidelines for establishing good dental health for infants
- Oral Health in Infants, Children and Pregnant Women, a collection of education and Information resources, some available in up to 11 different languages
- Open Wide: Oral Health Training for Professionals
HHS, National Institutes of Health
HHS, Office of Head Start