Health and Wellness
2019 National Dental Hygiene Month
October is National Dental Hygiene Month, an opportunity to emphasize the importance of good oral hygiene to WIC families.
Through their Oral Health Initiative, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) provides a number of free resources to help educate expectant mothers and parents of young children in their Outreach Tool Library, also available in Spanish, such as:
- See a Dentist While You're Pregnant tear pads
- Good Dental Habits for Children Under Age 3 posters and flyers
- Dental Care for Children with Special Needs fact sheets
- Digital tools, such as social media messages and images and web banners, buttons, and widgets for those with a digital presence
Information about customizing print materials with your WIC program’s contact information is available on their Improving Oral Health page.
You can help refer participants in need of dental services using:
- A video about the causes and prevention of baby bottle tooth decay (Spanish version available)
- Causes, signs, and prevention of Bottlemouth Syndrome
- Healthy Teeth and Your Child's Diet
- Let the Brushing Games Begin, practical suggestions to help make brushing more fun and a matter of routine
- …and much more!
Find more resources related to oral health on the WIC Works Resource System, such as the collection page Oral Health in Infants, Children and Pregnant Women, a link to free NIH publications, and Open Wide: Oral Health Training for Professionals.
American Dental Association
HHS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
HHS, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services