Health and Wellness
2018 National Food Safety Education Month
Resources to Help Educate Participants on the Importance of Food Safety
September is National Food Safety Education Month (NFSEM). Created in 1994, the goal is to heighten awareness about the importance of food safety through education. While it is important to practice safe food handling habits all year, this observance is a great opportunity to spend time reviewing, and emphasizing with your participants, the importance of food safety principles.
This month, Fight Bac! ®, The Partnership for Food Safety Education, is offering a number of community outreach and education events, including:
- A free webinar on Wednesday, September 12 at 1 PM EST entitled “Abundance of Content for Food Safety Education Month Outreach”. Click here to register.
- A Facebook Live event on Thursday, September 27 at 4 PM EST entitled “The Story of Your Dinner" that will review how to get a safe, simple and delicious meal on the family table.
In addition, you can download a number of helpful brochures and flyers, available in both English and Spanish, and view recorded webinars, including “Keeping Babies & Toddlers Safe from Foodborne Illness”.
WIC staff can find many food safety resources on WIC Works, such as:
- Human Milk Storage Guidelines from USDA/HHS CDC (additional CDC guidelines for the Proper Storage and Preparation of Breast Milk are also available).
- Food safety apps, including Ask Karen that provides answers to food handling and storing questions 24/7, and FoodKeeper that helps users maximize the freshness and quality of items.
- Collection pages that provide general food safety information and materials as well as resources specifically for Children and Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women.
- and much more…