Health and Wellness
2018 National Diabetes Month
Promoting Health After Gestational Diabetes
November is National Diabetes Month, an opportunity for WIC staff to help raise awareness and understanding of diabetes, its consequences, management and prevention.
This year's focus for the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases is on promoting health after gestational diabetes, for mothers and their children, and they offer a number of resources, many in Spanish, including:
- A section dedicated to gestational diabetes
- A booklet series (available in web or downloadable versions) that include Health Tips for Pregnant Women and Helping Your Child: Tips for Parents on how to promote healthy habits for children, both available in Spanish
- A section to filter education resources by language and race/ethnicity
The Indian Health Service's observance page provides a link to diabetes education material including information about upcoming continuing education events, how to order the newly revised My Native Plate and much more!
The CDC offers information on Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support services, including a locator tool to help find diabetes education programs in your area, and other diabetes-related resources such as:
- The Native Diabetes Wellness Program that includes publications for download
- Information on how to prepare for and manage diabetes in an emergency
- Information on the basics about diabetes, available in Spanish
The WIC Works Resource System has a Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational Diabetes collection page where you will find a number of useful education resources, some of which are available in Spanish.