Soup can be the ultimate make ahead (and versatile) meal. Prepare this nutrient packed soup in the crock pot, or cook it low and slow on the stove. You can also whip this up just in time for a healthy dinner that’s packed with choline, protein, potassium, magnesium, folate, and fiber.
Add other vegetables like corn, peas, spinach, asparagus, green beans, carrots, or anything you like. You can also add protein like tofu, chicken breast, or meatballs.
Yield amount6 Servings
- Wash hands and then rinse vegetables before getting started.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat with 2 Tbsp vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the sweet potato and onion, and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onions start to soften.
- Add the garlic or garlic powder and the kale and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the red pepper flakes and pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add the beans, tomatoes and tomato puree and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to low and add the milk. Stir to combine. If the potatoes and beans are not covered, add some water to cover. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
To make in a crockpot, add all the ingredients at once, cook on low for 6 hours and dinner is done!
Equipment you’ll need:
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Can opener
- Large soup pot
- Spoon to stir
Virginia Beach WIC