For this recipe you can use whatever kind of tofu you desire, from silken to extra firm. Silken tofu will give the soup a smooth feel while firm tofu will give the soup more texture and chew. Whatever tofu you choose, this Tofu Miso Soup serves up a comforting flavor from the mushrooms, greens, and miso. Loaded with vitamins A and D, calcium, iron, and protein this soup can be served as a side dish or main course with a side of rice or bread.
Yield amount4 Servings
- Wash hands and then rinse vegetables before getting started.
- In a large pot, bring chicken or vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add tofu, mushrooms, and leafy greens. Bring back to a simmer.
- Stir in miso paste, until dissolved.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Remove from heat and top with green onions before serving.
Miso paste can be found in the Asian food aisle in most grocery stores. Red or white miso paste can be used in this recipe.
For a lower sodium option choose to use low-sodium broth or use water in place of broth.
Substitute mushrooms in this recipe for another quick cooking vegetable such as celery, zucchini, or green beans.
Equipment you’ll need:
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large pot
- Mixing spoon or ladle