Oatmeal for breakfast is a staple, but have you ever had it savory instead of sweet? Try this different spin loaded with fiber from the oats, protein from the egg (and oats), and tons of flavor! This meal will warm you up, and fill you up any time of day.
Making this for the kiddos? Let them choose the vegetables they’d like to add to their bowl! Have them help by rinsing the veggies. Make sure all helpers wash their hands.
Yield amount4 Servings
- Rinse the mushrooms and the spinach under running water and use your hands to gently rub the surface of the leaves (if using bagged spinach, check to see if they're labeled ready to eat, triple washed, or no washing necessary. If so, they don't need to be washed again).
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Slice and add mushrooms; cook on medium letting them release water and cook down, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms have cooked down, add the garlic or garlic powder and spinach. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat and place aside in a bowl.
- In a medium size pot, add water or milk. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add oats. Cook according to package instructions. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the oats cook, add the remaining olive oil to the pan and heat to a temperature appropriate for how you want your eggs – scrambled, fried, over easy, etc. Cook eggs the way you like them.
- Once the eggs and oatmeal are finished, layer them into bowls. Place the oatmeal in first, and then the vegetable mixture. Top your bowl with an egg and enjoy!
In place of spinach or mushrooms, add your vegetables, such as tomato and kale, or zucchini and squash!
If using milk in this recipe, be sure to watch it closely and bring it to a boil over medium-low or low heat. When milk boils, it can rise quickly and boil over, or burn easily on the bottom of the pot.
Add other spices like crushed red pepper flakes, more garlic powder, or onion powder. Make this your own!
Equipment you’ll need:
- Cutting board
- Frying pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium pot
- Large spoon for stirring
- 4 Serving bowls