One Bowl Cheesy Cauliflower Mash
Introducing a vegetable in many different ways can be the key to getting a child to accept a new or different food. This cheesy alternative just might not only help them accept a new food, but leave them asking for more! Try this recipe in place of your standard mashed potato.
You can foster healthy dietary habits in your kids and increase their vegetable consumption by involving them in meal planning and recipe selection (like giving them a choice between which vegetables are included in a meal) as well as shopping and/or food preparation. (It can also help with picky eaters!) Make sure all helpers wash their hands before helping in the kitchen.
- Give the cauliflower head a preliminary rinse under running water. Cut into 1-2 inch pieces and rinse the pieces under running water using the strainer.
- Add the cauliflower and water to a large microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 6 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Drain the extra water from the cauliflower. Add the milk and butter to the bowl with the cauliflower, and mash using a fork or potato masher.
- Once the cauliflower is mashed, add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cheese. Mix until combined.
- Serve warm as a side dish.
You can also use Colby, Swiss, or mozzarella cheese in this recipe. Use what you have, or what you like!
If you like your mash extra smooth, you can also use a hand blender to mash.
Equipment you’ll need:
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cheese grater (if using block cheese)
- Large bowl (microwave safe)
- Fork or potato masher
- Large spoon