Not As Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potatoes are packed full of vitamin A, potassium, and fiber. Plus, they’re naturally sweet without having to add much sugar. Try this fall favorite version for a healthier option that still brings the flavor. Small helpers can get in on the action by mixing the dry ingredients and helping to mash the sweet potatoes!
- Wash hands and then scrub sweet potatoes before getting started.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot, place the cubed sweet potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. Strain and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the oats, sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and pecans in a small bowl. Mix until well combined.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked potatoes, milk, and remaining spices. Mash the potatoes and mix well.
- Move to a greased baking dish and smooth the top with a spoon or rubber spatula. Top with the oat and nut mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Make everything ahead and bake about 30 minutes before it’s time to eat. This will save stove space if you are making a large meal.
Spices like cinnamon can bring out the natural sweetness in foods like sweet potatoes. Try adding cinnamon to foods before you add sugar!
Equipment you’ll need:
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large pot
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- Baking dish
- Fork or potato masher
- Spoon or spatula