Mug cakes are fast, easy, and kind of like a science experiment for kids. Make them savory or sweet to create fun and interesting meals any time of day. Have everyone pick out their own ingredients and encourage at least one new food to increase variety – pairing a new food with a familiar one is a great way to make new foods less scary.
Yield amount4 Servings
- Wash hands and then rinse fresh fruits and/or vegetables before getting started.
- Place the oats, egg, milk, banana, cinnamon, and syrup or honey in a small microwave safe bowl or mug and stir to combine.
- Add the berries, and gently fold in to incorporate.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until the center is firm.
- Top with peanut butter and enjoy!
You can use different fruit such as fresh or frozen berries, peaches, or cherries.
Make this a healthier substitute for pancakes. Top with a small amount of syrup instead!
Make this savory by removing the sweeteners, fruit, and cinnamon and adding vegetables like corn and savory seasonings like chili powder or taco seasoning. Need some inspiration? Try these combinations:
- Olives, cilantro, and cheddar cheese
- Cherry tomatoes, avocado, and tamari
- Spinach, peas, chives, and parmesan
Equipment you’ll need:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Microwave safe mug or bowl
- Cutting board/knife (if needed to cut/slice any fruit or veggie)