Add an extra boost of protein to your avocado with canned salmon! Loaded with healthy omega-3 fatty acids from the salmon, this recipe has protein and fiber to keep you full, plus other nutrients like potassium, magnesium, choline, vitamins C and B12. Whip this up and keep it on hand for a quick snack on the go or while breastfeeding!
Yield amount5 Servings
- Wash hands and then rinse the avocado and cilantro before getting started (bacteria on the avocado’s skin can be transferred to the edible portion by the knife used to slice into it).
- Slice through the avocado lengthwise until you feel the knife hit the pit. Then rotate the avocado, keeping the knife steady, to make a cut all around the pit. Twist the two halves apart. Tip: It’s safest to do this on a cutting board.
- Spoon/remove avocados from skin, place into a medium mixing bowl, and mash with a fork.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- If saving to enjoy later, leave an avocado pit and cover with plastic wrap directly on the food to keep it from turning brown.
*You can tell if an avocado is ripe if it gives slightly when squeezed, just like a peach.
*Add other seasonings you enjoy such as everything but the bagel seasoning, old bay, or celery seeds.
*Enjoy with carrot sticks, pretzels, or on whole wheat toast!
Equipment you’ll need:
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons