It doesn't have to be Summer for this sweet treat to hit the spot! Creamy yogurt loaded with calcium (and, if fortified, vitamin D), paired with fiber-packed and vitamin C-rich fruit can help to put a new tool in your summer treat tool belt. Though lower in added sugar, kids might ask for this tailor-made treat just as much as their favorite ice cream! Just blend, freeze and enjoy.
This recipe includes kid friendly steps, so encourage your little ones to help. Make sure all helpers wash their hands before helping in the kitchen.
Yield amount4 4-oz portions
- In the pitcher of a blender, add the yogurt, berries and vanilla.
- Blend on medium-high speed until smooth. If too thick, add 1-2 Tbsp of water or lowfat milk.
- Seal in a reusable container and freeze for one hour or up to overnight. (see note)
- Scoop into bowls or, enjoy as popsicles!
- Use any fruit or berries you have on hand. Combinations like strawberry banana, mango and pineapple, or cherry would all be delicious.
- This recipe can be frozen in a container, or in popsicle molds for easier serving! Don’t have popsicle molds? Use an ice cube tray!
Equipment you’ll need:
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Container, popsicle mold (and sticks), or ice cube tray for freezing