Try this twist on a traditional slaw for a heart healthy way to change up taco night. By limiting salt, using nonfat yogurt instead of sour cream or mayo, and using a lean protein such as fish, this recipe will help keep your heart in tip-top shape!
Keep it mild, or kick up the heat with your favorite salsa, hot sauce, crushed red pepper, chipotle or whatever spices warm your heart.
Here are some tips and substitution options before you get started:
- Frozen or canned fish can work too! If using frozen fish, make sure it’s thawed (safely!) completely before starting. If using canned fish, be sure to drain all the extra liquid before cooking.
- Make the slaw the day ahead for even more intense flavor.
- If new to warming tortillas, check out these methods to see which you prefer.
Yield amount8 Tacos
- In a large bowl, pour your shredded cabbage mix. Add in the yogurt, lime juice, garlic powder, ½ tsp salt, red onion, cilantro and pepper. Mix to combine and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve your tacos (at minimum for 20 minutes, but refrigerate it overnight for the best flavor).
- Season your fish with your remaining salt and pepper, or 1 tsp of your favorite taco seasoning. Pour the olive oil into the frying pan and heat to medium-low heat.
- Add your seasoned fish to the pan. If using canned fish, cook until heated through. If using fresh or frozen fish, cook about 2-3 minutes each side, or until cooked to 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the middle.
- Heat your tortillas using your preferred method. Fill each tortilla with some of the fish and a portion of slaw and top with a slice of avocado. Enjoy!
Equipment you'll need:
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Frying pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Can opener (if using canned fish)
*You can use taco seasoning in place of salt because there is added salt in most taco seasonings.