Inspired by the Filipino rice porridge dish, this flavorful version uses oats in place of rice and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Surprisingly quick, this warm and hearty meal boasts fiber, protein, iron, and magnesium in its nutrient profile.
Yield amount2 Servings
- Wash hands and then rinse vegetables before getting started.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook garlic, onion, and ginger until fragrant (be careful not to burn!).
- Add chicken stock, ½ cup water, oats, soy sauce and fish sauce. Continue to cook and stir frequently, then add remaining ½ cup water in increments until desired consistency.
- Serve in a bowl and top with green onion, chili oil, and a hard-boiled egg.
You can make this recipe vegetarian by using vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth and lower the sodium by using a reduced sodium broth.
Equipment you’ll need:
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing spoon
Spoon University online recipes