Qualifications and Roles: Local Agency Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinator/Supervisor
The local agency ensures that the Local Agency Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinator/Supervisor has all of the following qualifications:
- Meets the qualifications for a CPA.
- Has experience in program management.
- Has, at minimum, 1 year of experience in counseling breastfeeding women.
- Has successfully completed specialized training in lactation management and care (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is preferred, but individual may be exam-eligible or have successfully completed other State-approved specialized training).
The local agency ensures that the Local Agency Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinator/Supervisor performs the following roles and responsibilities:
- Contributes to the development of program goals and objectives for the local agency peer counseling program.
- Conducts a needs assessment to identify gaps in breastfeeding resources and services within the local agency and community that the WIC peer counseling program can address.
- Oversees the training of peer counselors and peer counselor supervisors.
- Oversees the planning, management, implementation and evaluation of local agency peer counseling activities.
- Keeps current with up-to-date breastfeeding information and disseminates this as well as FNS-provided information to other local agency staff.
- Mentors new peer counselors, providing routine follow-up and guidance in the early days of the job.
- Provides ongoing supervision and feedback for peer counselors
- Reports on peer counseling program activities to supervisor and the State agency.
- Coordinates with local community stakeholders such as hospitals and health care providers to enhance the effectiveness of the peer counseling program.