Beyond Basic Grilled Cheese
Quick and easy doesn't have to mean boring or unhealthy. Elevate this classic favorite from ordinary to extraordinary using different cheese options, whole wheat bread, and roasted veggies. Make it even healthier by using a non-stick pan (and skip the butter) to cut down on the fat. You can also use cooking oil spray or brush the pan (any kind of pan) with a teaspoon of oil.
For a kick of spice, a savory spread like harissa adds even more interest. Other flavor ideas and combos:
- Other roasted (and sliced) veggies like asparagus, zucchini, or mushrooms work well - the sky's the limit
- Dried oregano and garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, or chipotle powder
- Spinach, sliced tomato and basil with mozzarella cheese
- Sliced apple and cheddar cheese
whole wheat bread (2 slices)
1 T harissa (optional)
1 c cheese (grated, try Muenster, Monterey jack or mozzarella)
1⁄2 c broccoli and cauliflower (roasted, cut into small pieces or use fresh veggies of your choice)
oil spray (optional)
- Heat the pan on medium. Spray the pan with a thin coat of the oil/oil spray if needed.
- Lay one slice of bread in the pan.
- Spoon the harissa (or other savory spread) on one slice, and spread it out evenly.
- Add half of the grated cheese, spreading it out evenly.
- Add the vegetables and top with the remaining cheese, being sure to cover the vegetables.
- Grill the sandwich three minutes on each side or until the slices have browned to perfection. Slice the sandwich on a diagonal and enjoy with a side salad, veggie soup, and/or seasonal fruit.
Equipment you'll need:
- Nonstick pan