Super Easy Pasta Salad
Fresh and simple, this pasta salad keeps the veggies raw, retaining their vitamin C content, which helps to absorb the iron from the garbanzo beans and whole wheat pasta. Want an added iron and protein boost? Add canned fish, cooked tofu, or cooked chicken. Looking to rev up the vitamin C? Include fruit like citrus, melons, berries, pineapple and mango as an appetizer or dessert.
6 1/2 Servings
8 oz whole wheat penne
15 1⁄2 oz chickpeas/garbanzo beans (canned, no salt added, drained and rinsed)
1 c carrots (shredded)
1 yellow bell pepper
10 oz cherry tomatoes (one package should be 10 ounces)
1⁄4 c lite Italian salad dressing
- Start cooking the pasta according to the package instructions.
- If using canned beans, drain and rinse the garbanzo beans in a colander and then place in a large bowl with the carrots.
- Cut the bell pepper into 1-inch pieces and place in the bowl with the beans and carrots.
- Slice the cucumber and then cut slices into quarters and add them to the bowl.
- When the pasta is done, rinse with cold water in a colander. Add to the bowl.
- Add the tomatoes to the bowl; mix with dressing.
Equipment you’ll need:
- A large pot to cook the pasta
- Can opener
- Large bowl
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons and cups